Saturday, October 6, 2007

Stop!

Yesterday morning I wanted to sleep-in in the worst kind of way because I had been at friend's house until after 3AM. We were reminiscing and printing some photos contact sheets from a wedding she had helped me shoot a almost two weeks ago today.
However, JB woke with his usual 6 year old vigor and was prodding me to rouse but I kindly sent him back to his bed explaining that Mommy had a late night and needed her sleep...we had some time before our home school day "had" to officially begin. I instructed him to be quiet so he would not wake his little sister.

As I drifted back to sleepy town in no time I could hear what I was sure to be him rifling through his big Little Tykes toy box. The clanking and plastic sounds are way too familiar in my world of four kids. It seemed especially loud yesterday morning and I tried to maintain self control for a bit but too soon did yell...
"Please stop that!
It seemed to stop for all of 30 seconds and then I hear what seemed like a rattlesnake or morocco type of sound...like maybe JB was having a "musical moment" which he tends to do in the mornings.

I am not a talented musician but I did not miss a beat myself. I yelled again, reintegrating...
"I said stop - I am trying to sleep here!" The sounds stopped for a brief time.

I sat straight up in bed, in my now "more coherent mental state" and realized that the sound was in fact not coming from the JB's toy box or bedroom but outside my "open" bedroom window!!! I instantly thought evil thoughts toward our neighbors of all of four months. They have kids who hang with the neighborhood rowdies that make all manner of noise night and day! In a critical moment I felt angry and plotted on how to ask them why they weren't in school or at least walking to the end of the court to catch their bus?

As I peep out my open window and strategically, between the mini blinds, I am shocked to see one of our trademark green Akehurst Landscape trucks parked in my hubby's usual parking spot. I too soon realize...it is not the usual pickup truck he drives...it was in fact the one of the bigger trucks used to transport small equipment for fertilizing and treating lawns for weeds. They visit about once a quarter to treat our lawn and that of the widowed neighbor (who has since moved away ~ hence the "new" neighbors).

I can see a worker - who I do not know personally one of our employees. He is pushing his handy dandy wheeled contraption and it's spitting some niceties on the new neighbor's lawn and THAT's THE SOUND! I stammered, calling out loudly, "Stop! Yes - from behind the blinds because by this point I have not thought to grab a robe or clothes!

The same word repeats "Stop!" the poor guy looks up ~ so confused.

I try to explain, "We have these new neighbors and I guess no one told you but anyway I don't know if they want us treating their lawn-sorry!

He innocently says, "Okay, but you DO want me to still do THAT one (pointing to our postage stamp sized lawn)?

I replied with a huge bout of guilt and embarrassment , "Yes, please and thank you!"

He soon finished, packed up and pulled away from the curb. I could not help but laugh and wonder...Is it often that a crazy womanly voice yells "Stop!" at him from behind closed blinds in an open window - much less those of his boss?

I still break out on laughter as I try to retell this story so I though I'd share it here for everyone else's entertainment. Greta would have laughed heartily if I could have told her about my very embarrassing moment!

No comments: