Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorial Day Perspective


Recently, very dear friends of mine, actually - my mentors in wedding photography - have experienced two sons being deployed...one to Iraq and the other to Afghanistan. As we pray for Jim and Diane to have peace concerning what missions God has called their sons to accomplish, we also pray for Rick and Paul as they follow through!

So, on Monday and again on the 30th of May, despite how so many of the liberal celebs try to undermine the war effort, I tried/will try to focus on the true significance of the Memorial holiday that most celebrated on Monday but in tradition was historically-speaking Wednesday's date! I am disturbed as the national news media continues attempting to skew our perception of our nation's attempt to resolve the issues that were indeed precursors to our trip to enact war on those who harbored terrorists! In respect to the personal freedoms we enjoy, but so often take for granted...we should at very least render honor to all those who have, do and will serve in our military and to those of our allies.

We should strive to pray for, and be an encouragement to those who put there lives on the line everyday! A few years back we helped out in a ministry to the military on our local Army base. The church, where we were members, coordinated rides for the enlisted to and from the Sunday morning services. We had extra seats in our SUV so we volunteered and made new acquaintances in the process. Our kids adopted some Army friends and a few we kept tabs on, went overseas to serve. We have had relatives and special friends, who (like Ms. Holly) have served in the Middle East. We enjoy sharing homemade stuff...greeting cards, cookies and such...so I guess care packages should become a way of life for such a time as this! I understand that even the smallest tokens of appreciation are great morale boosters among the deployed.

Since the tragic loss of our second cousin, Staff Sgt. Keith Bennett, while serving in Iraq, on December 12, 2005, we are made keenly aware of the reality of the danger each military person faces each and every day. So we entrust them to God's keeping and must be at peace about their part in the bigger picture which we do not yet see!

http://www.legacy.com/Soldier/Story.aspx?personid=15978970


Even with the loss of Keith, we have only some idea of the selfless sacrifice that families are making everyday in the vital stand and fight against terrorism. Today, I have a heart of tremendous compassion toward anyone who is grieving the loss of one they loved so dearly.

Sadly, many of our service men and women who are serving right now may feel that a vast number of Americans are against them and the mission they are now on to promote freedom in place where hostility is as common as the daily news! I want to share a point from my Praying God's Day by Day devotional dated May 28th (by Beth Moore). It was about feeling forsaken or hated. I never noticed the referenced verse from quite this perspective...but our Heavenly Father is with us when NO ONE ELSE seems to care.

Psalm 27:10

(KJV)
When my father and my mother forsake me,
then the LORD will take me up.

(NKJV)
When my father and my mother forsake me,
then the Lord will take care of me.

(AMP)
Although my father and my mother have forsaken me,
yet the Lord will take me up [adopt me as His child].

Lastly, another scripture, John 15:13,
speaks to the heart of the subject
of a love that sacrifices...
Greater love hath no man than this,
that a man lay down his life for his friends.

To think...
the day that so many Americans just look at as
...a means to a three day weekend,
...the day the pool is opened,
...a morning to catch a good early bird sale at the mall
or...
the first big BBQ of the summer season!


WOW...it now means so much more!

2 comments:

April said...

I'm with you completely.

My you are getting to be really blog savy. I guess I will be having to come to you for help soon. LOL

love ya!

Terri said...

Thanks little sister...you taught me about everything I know in this corner of cyber space!